Will I lose My Home to Foreclosure?
When you think about buying a home, many questions will come to mind. Do I really need to buy a home? Is my income going to grow? Will I stay in a home long enough to benefit from the purchase? Have I got enough money saved? Am I ready for the responsibility? Buying a home is a major financial move so before you decide to buy, carefully consider the pros and cons of homeownership.
Why trust the HOPE Hotline
The Homeownership Preservation Foundation’s (HPF’s) HOPE Hotline has been a trusted, independent partner to more than 9 million homeowners since 2007. We’ll serve you by:
- Acting as a liaison between you and your lender: Many financially troubled homeowners avoid collection calls and letters rather than confront the situation head on. By calling the HPF Homeowner’s HOPE Hotline at 888-995-HOPE (4673), our counselors can familiarize themselves with your situation, and in turn, explain it to your lender for you and explore available and realistic options. HPF has developed strong and trusted relationships with your lender and often receives referrals from them to assist with determining options. By developing those relationships, HPF is better able to understand their process and help you navigate you through the process.
- Providing information: Information is power. Better-educated homeowners are more equipped to handle various financial situations.
- Customizing its advice to fit your unique situation: HPF counselors will ask questions about your overall financial situation and will use the information you provide to help you better stabilize your financial health.
- Offering professional guidance: Speaking to a counselor helps homeowners better understand their unique mortgage situation and gives them the insight needed to identify any underlying financial problems, turn around their current situations, and avoid future financial difficulties.
- Identifying options: We help homeowners explore all available options to avoid foreclosure, including modifications, short sales, repayment plans, and government programs.
- Connecting you with additional resources: In 95% of HPF cases, homeowners are linked to other local services that can assist them.
- Creating an action plan: Many homeowners simply need help developing a plan to get them out of their financial troubles. We offer that assistance every day. Once our counselors learn pertinent income and expense information, they will create a tailored budget and plan of action called a Client Action Plan. When home retention is not an option, housing counselors will guide and educate homeowners through a short sale or deed in lieu.
- Underscoring good faith: We can notify your creditors that you are seeking assistance, a clear sign to them that you are acting in good faith and are working to correct your financial situation.
- Respecting you: Our counselors are here to help, not judge. We offer guidance, hope, and a sympathetic ear throughout the process.
Our housing counselors are available around the clock every day, providing free foreclosure prevention counseling and advice to homeowners like you in more than 200 languages. Get the help you need. Call the Homeowner’s HOPE™ Hotline at 888-995-HOPE (4673) today!
Does Housing Counseling Work?
Did you know:
- Seventy-one percent of those homeowners counseled by our Homeowner’s HOPE Hotline reported that they were still in their home one year later.
- Homeowners who receive counseling are 1.7 times more likely to cure their foreclosure (return the loan to good standing) than those who do not receive counseling.
- Housing counseling consistently increases the likelihood that the homeowner will be granted a loan modification (200 percent higher probability).
- Counseled borrowers received more favorable terms on their loan modifications compared to uncounseled borrowers (on average, $110 lower monthly payment and five basis points lower interest rate).
- Homeowners already seriously delinquent on their loans were 60% more likely to avoid foreclosure after meeting with a counselor.
- Homeowners who received modified loans after being counseled had their mortgage payments lowered an additional $267 more than those who got modifications without being counseled.
HPF housing counselors are available around the clock every day, providing free foreclosure prevention counseling and advice to homeowners like you in more than 200 languages. Get the help you need. Call the HPF Homeowner’s HOPE™ Hotline at 888-995-HOPE (4673) today!